Student Success: College to Careers Conference 2013
Friday, April 5, 2013
BTS 400 is required for all CBT seniors graduating in May, August or December of 2013.
At the 2013 College to Careers Conference, you will participate in departmental breakout sessions that will help prepare you to enter the professional world.
Seniors -- attend a corporate-style luncheon where you will:
Meet the 2013 College of Business and Technology Distinguished Alumni.
Network with area employers.
Interact with successful EKU alumni.
Attendance at the luncheon is required to receive credit for BTS 400.
- 2013 CBT Distinguished Alumni Selected
- 2013 Distinguished Seniors Named
- Hamon Selected as 2013 CBT Distinguished Senior
- Honoring Excellence: 2013 CBT Scholarship & Awards Recipients
- 2013 Conference Photo Gallery
Check back often for schedule updates!
Departmental breakout sessions are designed to address questions on the transition from college to careers. Student leaders facilitate the discussions.
School of Applied Arts and Technology
Department of Agriculture
Agriculture panelists and presenters talk on their current position, how they transitioned to the workplace, and what new hires can expect. Students may then discuss their college experience and talk about life after EKU.
Distinguished Alum: Franklin R. Skipworth, DVM ('89, BS, DVM in Veterinary Medicine), Owner/Veterinarian, Skipworth Veterinary Clinic in Richmond, Ky.
Distinguished Senior: Brannon Lillard (Horticulture, Turfgrass Management)
Time: 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.
Location: Powell Underground (Powell Room 11)
- AG Session Schedule
- 9:00-9:45 Featured Presenter
- "Strategies to Transition from College to Careers" by Mrs. Lorrie West, Human Resources Manager for Cobb-Vantress, Inc., in Monticello, Ky.
- 9:45-10:00 Break
- 10:00-11:00 Panel Discussion
- Mr. David Williams, EKU Associate Director of Facilities Services in Richmond, Ky.
- 9:00-9:45 Featured Presenter
Department of Applied Engineering and Technology
AE&T breakout sessions will be a combination of presentations and panels. There will be three breakout sessions - one each for Construction Management, Aviation, and a combined session for Applied Engineering, Network Security & Electronics, Graphics Communication Management, and Career and Technical Education. Each session will have presentations by selected individuals followed by a panel for questions and answers.
Distinguished Alum: Mr. Mark D. Klee ('90, BS in Industrial Technology), Manager of Powertrain Production Engineering-Engine Group, Toyota Motor Engineering and Manufacturing in Lexington, Ky.
Distinguished Senior: Jessica Dawn Jenkins (Aviation, Professional Flight and Aerospace Management)
Time: 9:00 - 11:15 a.m.
Location: Powell and Whalin Buildings; see AET Session Schedule below
- AET Session Schedule
- AETM and NET - Whalin 328
- Mr. Mark E. Guseman, Chief Engineer for Lockheed Martin in Lexington, Ky.
- Mr. Andy Hall, Network Administrator for NACCO Material Handling Group, Inc. in Berea, Ky.
- Mr. Mark D. Klee, Manager of Powertrain Production Engineering-Engine Group, Toyota Motor Engineering and Manufacturing in Lexington, Ky.
- Mr. Byron Sims, Systems Administrator for EKU in Richmond, Ky.
- Aviation - Whalin 348
- Capt. David Barnes, Captain for Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation in Berea, Ky.
- Ms. Terri Donner, A300 Captain for United Parcel Service in Louisville, Ky.
- Dr. Tom Edwards, Professor of Organizational Leadership at Northern Kentucky University in Highland Heights, Ky.
- Mr. Patrick O'Leary, Veterans Affairs Manager for United Parcel Service in Louisville, Ky.
- Construction Management - Powell Building, Herndon Lounge
- Mr. Zach Bloomfield ('09, BS in Construction Management), Project Engineer for Garner Construction in Nashville, Tn.
- Mr. Jordan Brooking ('09, BS in Construction Management), Project Engineer for Garner Construction in Nashville, Tn.
- Mr. Jordan Carrier ('09, BS in Construction Management), Building Systems Estimating Manager for Messer Construction in Cincinnati, Oh.
- Mr. Jason Mack ('09, BS in Construction Management), Project Engineer for Garner Construction in Nashville, Tn.
- GCM - Whalin 333
- Mr. Chris Glidewell, Manufacturing Operations Manager for RR Connelley in Danville, Ky.
- AETM and NET - Whalin 328
Department of Communication
This Departmental session will be a presentation and dialogue between our distinguished alum, Schanda Stroud, and her mentor and the department’s 2011 distinguished alum, Ferrell Wellman. At the Communication breakout session, we will also be recognizing scholarship winners and inducting new members of Kappa Tau Alpha, the mass communication honorary.
Distinguished Alum: Ms. Schanda Stroud ('02, BA in Broadcasting), Post Production Supervisor, Original Media in Hollywood, Ca.
Distinguished Senior: Kristina Hamon (Journalism)
Time: 8:00 - 11:30 a.m.
Location: SSB Auditorium
- COMM Session Schedule
8:00-8:30 Check-in and Registration
8:30-8:45 Welcome: Dr. Liz Hansen, Department Chair
8:45-9:45 Keynote Address: Ms. Schanda Stroud, Distinguished Alum
10:00-10:45 Question & Answer Session
10:45-11:15 Scholarship Recognition and Kappa Tau Alpha Initiation
11:15-11:30 Break/Walk to Keen Johnson Ballroom for Luncheon
11:30 Recognition Luncheon (mandatory)
- Keynote Address: Ms. Schanda Stroud
Keynote topic to be announced
- Question & Answer Session: Moderator TBD
- Ms. Schandra Stroud, Post Production Supervisor for Original Media in Valley Glen, Ca.
- Mr. Ferrell Wellman, Host for KET's Comment on Kentucky in Versailles, Ky.
Department of Military Science and Leadership
MSL will be performing field exercises during this time. CBT majors should check with your instructor on completing the BTS 400 requirement.
School of Business
Department of Accounting, Finance & Information Systems
The AFIS panel discussion will focus on the transition from college to careers. Each panelist will speak for 10 to 15 minutes on their current position, how they transitioned to the workplace, and what new hires should expect at work. After each panel member has spoken, they will move to separate areas so that students may discuss their college experience and talk about life after EKU.
Distinguished Alum: Mr. Duran Hall ('90, BBA in Insurance), Senior Vice-President, Community Markets, Neace Lukens in Louisville, Ky.
Distinguished Senior: Ms. Brittany Neaves (Accounting)
Time: 8:30 - 10:45 a.m.
Location: Business & Technology Center, Rooms 132 and 133
- AFIS Session Schedule
8:00-8:30 a.m. Registration (BTC 132/133)
8:30-10:45 a.m. Concurrent Sessions
- Mr. Matthew A. Evans, President and CEO of Bankers Service Corporation in Lexington, Ky.
- Ms. Tracy Wilkerson, Corporate Security Manager, Administrative Services, for Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance Companies in Louisville, Ky.
Department of Management, Marketing & International Business
MMIB brings a keynote speaker and focused presentation by a business leader.
Distinguished Alum: Dr. Will McIntosh ('77, BS in Business Education; '79 MBA, North Texas; '87 PhD, Finance & Real Estate), Global Head of Research, USAA Real Estate Company in San Antonio, Tx.
Distinguished Senior: Rebekah McGee (Management, Human Resources)
Time: 8:30 - 1:00 p.m.
Location: Business & Technology Center Building
MMIB Session Schedule
8:30-8:45 Registration (BTC Atrium)
8:45-9:00 Welcome: Dr. Lana Carnes, Department Chair (BTC 049)
9:00-9:50 Keynote Presentation: Dr. Will McIntosh (BTC 049)
10:00-11:00 Presentation by a business leader
11:00-11:05 Complete and turn in evaluations
11:05-11:30 Transfer by shuttle bus to Keen Johnson Building
11:30-1:00 Luncheon networking with business executives
Recognition Luncheon (required for all seniors)
Graduating seniors attend a corporate-style luncheon where they have the opportunity to network with area employers, interact with the CB&T Distinguished Alumni, and congratulate award-winning seniors.
- Time: 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Location: Keen Johnson Building, Grand Ballroom
Welcome & Announcements
- Guests & Honorees
- College Distinguished Senior
Greetings from EKU President Dr. Doug Whitlock
Spotlight on Distinguished Alumni
College to Careers Committee:
Dr. Ed Davis, Conference Co-Chair
Dr. Rita Davis, Conference Co-Chair
Ms. Kathy Barr, Conference Public Relations
Dr. Lana Carnes, Chair of the Department of Management, Marketing & International Business
Dr. Liz Hansen, Interim Chair of the Department of Communication
Dr. Oliver Feltus, Chair of the Department of Accounting, Finance & Information Systems
Mr. Jim Fisher, Conference Logistics
LTC Ralph M. Hudnall, Jr., Chair of the Department of Military Science & Leadership
Dr. John Settimi, Chair of the Department of Agriculture
Dr. Tim Ross, Chair of the Department of Applied Engineering & Technology
Mrs. Darcy Salyers, Conference Treasurer
Ms. Sonia Smith, Conference Secretary
Published on February 06, 2013